How reading changed my life

 

Sixteen. The age of awkward crushes, questionable fashion choices, and...unquenchable thirst for fictional worlds? Yep, 😊. Unlike most teenagers glued to their phones, I found myself drowning in bookshelves, not social media feeds. at the tender age of 16, everything changed. It wasn't a dramatic epiphany or a life-altering event. It was a simple act: picking up a book my dad had left lying around. One minute I was sprawled on the couch, the next I was hurtling through space with a mischievous little boy and a dog with a heart of gold. Suddenly, the beige walls of my room dissolved, replaced by shimmering galaxies and telepathic battles. I wasn't just reading; I was living a thousand lives.

The addiction was immediate. Meals became a blur as I devoured stories between bites. Sleep was a distant memory as I raced through pages fueled by pure literary adrenaline. My parents, initially thrilled at their non-tech-obsessed offspring, soon discovered the perils of a book-possessed teenager. Finding me perched precariously on the bathroom counter, flashlight in hand, finishing the last chapter of "Pride and Prejudice" while brushing my teeth became a regular occurrence.

Fast forward to university. The workload threatened to bury me, but my love for reading remained. Time became a precious commodity, yet I fiercely guarded my moments with biographies. These weren't stories of fantastical creatures; these were tales of real people, flawed and magnificent, who dared to dream and build empires. I devoured stories of Steve Jobs, the college dropout who revolutionized technology, and J.K. Rowling, the single mom who spun a world of magic in a tiny Edinburgh cafe. With each page, a new truth resonated: success wasn't about avoiding failure, it was about embracing it, learning from it, and rising stronger.

Reading wasn't just about escaping reality, it became a way to reshape mine. Before, high school felt like a never-ending loop of drama and pointless tests. But books opened my eyes to a world beyond the immediate. Everyone else wanted the latest phone, the trendiest clothes, the most likes on social media? Me too, please! But biographies of artists, inventors, and activists showed me a different kind of cool. It was cool to question things, to challenge the status quo, to chase a dream even if it made you look weird.

Books became my secret rebellion. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through feeds full of perfectly curated lives, I was exploring the messy, beautiful complexities of real people. I learned about Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani girl who defied the Taliban to fight for girls' education. I discovered Marie Curie, the pioneering scientist who shattered glass ceilings in a time when women in science were practically unheard of. These stories ignited a spark within me. Suddenly, the pressure to fit in felt suffocating. Why chase a pre-defined idea of "cool" when you could be blazing your own trail?

Reading not only changed my perspective on life, but also my priorities. Before, instant gratification ruled my world. I craved the quick dopamine rush of a new like or a fleeting trend. But biographies exposed the true value of delayed gratification. The greatest achievements weren't built overnight. They were the product of years of dedication, struggle, and sacrifice. Steve Jobs didn't create the iPhone in a week. J.K. Rowling didn't write Harry Potter in a month. These stories taught me the power of delayed gratification, the beauty of the long game. Instead of chasing fleeting trends, I started focusing on building skills, nurturing passions, and investing in myself—the real long-term cool.

Reading became my superpower. It opened my mind to endless possibilities, showed me the strength of the human spirit, and taught me the value of carving my own path. So, to all the young minds out there, don't be afraid to get lost in a book. You might just find yourself. After all, the most incredible adventures aren't always found on a screen; they're waiting to be discovered within the pages of a book.

Post a Comment

0 Comments